The garage door costs are very high because there are many factors involved. You need to consider the following:
1) Cost of installation of new hardware; 2) Installation time; 3) Replacement labor cost; 4) Repairs and maintenance cost; 5) Maintenance period (time required to maintain); 6) Warranty period (how long will warranty last).
In addition, you have to take into consideration other expenses such as insurance, taxes, repairs, etc.
Cost of Hardware Installation
Hardware installation costs are expensive because they require lots of materials and labor. You need to factor in the price of these items when you decide what type of hardware to buy. For example, if you want to use metal hardware, then you would have to pay extra for this material. If you choose wood hardware, then your cost will be lower than with metal but still higher than using plastic or aluminum components.
You must factor in the amount of time it takes to install the hardware. Depending upon where you live, installation times may vary greatly. Some places require no special skills while others demand a certain level of skill before installation can begin. There are also different types of installations which requires specialized tools and techniques. For instance, installing a garage door opener is not something that anyone could do without some training and experience.
The cost of labor is yet another factor that needs to be factored in. Not only do you have to pay for the professional’s time, but you must also cover any benefits they may receive as well. This could be in the form of sick days, vacation days, holidays, etc. With benefits, your bill can sometimes double. You must take all of this into consideration when setting your budget for your new hardware.
Repair and Maintenance Costs
Any mechanical or electrical device will eventually break down and require repair. You must factor in the cost of repairing and maintaining your new hardware. This can get expensive if you have to call in a professional to do the repair work. Most of the time, you can perform routine maintenance such as oil changes, grease applications, filter replacements, etc. However, some parts may be beyond your skill level and you will have to call in a professional.
Maintenance involves more than just repairs. You must also inspect your hardware on a regular basis. This prevents any small problems from becoming larger, more expensive issues. Most garage door companies will provide you with the necessary guidelines for proper maintenance. Once again, you can do this yourself or pay a professional to do it.
Sources & references used in this article:
- How to make more money on the sale of your property. (S Brand – 1995 – Penguin)
- Lee County Sheriff’s Office Family Emergency Plan (A Bianco – 2009 – Currency)
- Family Emergency Plan (J Whitney – Canadian Medical Association Journal, 1979 – ncbi.nlm.nih.gov)
- Cheaponomics: The high cost of low prices (L County – bonitafire.unionactive.com)
- Asphalt nation: How the automobile took over America and how we can take it back (L County – bayharborclub.info)
- Modular garage door (M Carolan – 2014 – books.google.com)
- The living city: How America’s cities are being revitalized by thinking small in a big way (JH Kay – 1998 – books.google.com)