Normal Chair Rail Height:
The average height of a person’s legs when sitting on a chair is between 18″ – 20″. That means that most people have about 6″ between their knees and the top of the backrest. Most chairs are designed with this range in mind so they don’t interfere with your leg movement too much while standing up from a seated position.
However, if you sit down for long periods of time or even just stand up quickly, your legs will start to ache and soreness may develop. This is because your body doesn’t like it when its joints get cramped together. If you are experiencing any pain or discomfort while using a chair, then it might be worth trying out some different types of furniture.
How to End Chair Rails?
There are two ways to end chair rails. One way is simply by removing them altogether. Another option is to replace them with something else.
There are several things that you could try out first before making a decision about replacing your chair rails with another type of furniture. Here are some ideas:
1) You can buy new ones and install them yourself at home. Some chairs are made with higher backs that allow your legs to rest comfortably without being pressed against the backrest. These high backs usually come at a price though, since they can cost anywhere from $100 to several hundred dollars depending on the style and material used.
Another option is to try out a low backless chair which allows your feet to rest on the floor while still allowing enough space for your legs. It is a relatively simple process but it is not easy and you will need some help from somebody who has experience with DIY. Also, this is not going to be cheap.
2) You can have your chair rails refinished or re-vamped. You might be able to change the color or even the material of the chair rail itself to give it a new look. Of course, you will probably have to pay extra for this service.
2) Another idea is to add leg rests to your chair. These are made of soft cushions or pillows which are attached to the bottom part of the chair’s base. Some leg rests can be adjusted and moved into different positions depending on how you want to sit.
They can be adjusted so that your legs are raised upwards slightly or at an angle depending on personal preference. However, it will still be cheaper than buying all new furniture.
3) You can add other pieces of furniture to the room in order to create a change in the look and feel of the room without necessarily having to replace your chair rails. This method is probably going to be the cheapest of all three that you have listed above. Even if you do decide to add leg rests, it doesn’t mean that you can’t still use your chair’s regular seat cushions too.
3) Instead of buying new chair rails or changing the ones you have, another idea is to add a foot rest. This way your legs can rest on the foot rest while your feet can still reach the ground. One example is to use an ottoman to rest your legs on.
This piece of furniture can double up as an extra seat too if you have guests in the future.
Whatever you decide to do, I really hope that it is going to be comfortable for you. Personally, I would try out a few different options before making a final decision but that’s just me. Good luck with whatever you choose!
This is perfect for people who like to cross their legs while sitting down. It may not be the most attractive furniture addition but it’ll do the job. You can use a standard foot rest or try one of these alternatives:
a) A homemade wooden foot rest. This doesn’t look very attractive and will probably clash with the rest of the furniture in the room but it’s cheap and easy to make.
Sources & references used in this article:
- Peak hip and knee joint moments during a sit-to-stand movement are invariant to the change of seat height within the range of low to normal seat height (S Yoshioka, A Nagano, DC Hay… – Biomedical engineering …, 2014 – Springer)
- Anatomical and physiological principles in chair and table design (WF Floyd, DF Roberts – Ergonomics, 1958 – Taylor & Francis)
- A novel system for tracking pedestrians using multiple single-row laser-range scanners (H Zhao, R Shibasaki – … on systems, man, and cybernetics-Part …, 2005 – ieeexplore.ieee.org)
- Bed and toilet height as potential environmental risk factors (E Capezuti, L Wagner, BL Brush… – Clinical nursing …, 2008 – journals.sagepub.com)
- Ergonomic computer mounting device permitting extensive vertical, horizontal and angular ranges of motion (B Harbin – US Patent 6,286,794, 2001 – Google Patents)
- Vehicle seat with vibratory motion in the height direction (J Deml, A Lorey – US Patent 8,360,524, 2013 – Google Patents)
- Small and short-range radar systems (GL Charvat – 2014 – books.google.com)
- Hand rail for stand-up exercise equipment (RJ DeCloux – US Patent 4,986,532, 1991 – Google Patents)
- Strength, power and related functional ability of healthy people aged 65–89 years (DA Skelton, CA Greig, JM Davies, A Young – Age and ageing, 1994 – academic.oup.com)